- NHF members reside in these countries:
Top Ten Household Killers - Household toxins you should be aware of: TOP "10" KILLER HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS
By Steve Tvedten www.safesolutionsinc.com/resources.htm
April 17, 2006
Most air fresheners interfere with your ability to smell by coating your nasal passages with an oil film, or by releasing a nerve deadening agent. Known toxic chemicals found in an air freshener: Formaldehyde: Highly toxic, known carcinogen. Phenol: When phenol touches your skin it can cause it to swell, burn, peel, and break out in hives. Can cause cold sweats, convulsions, circulatory collapse, coma and even death!!
It is a very volatile chemical, it is very damaging to your eyes, respiratory tract and skin. Do not inhale under any circumstances.
It is a strong corrosive. It will irritate or burn the skin, eyes and respiratory tract. It may cause pulmonary edema or vomiting and coma if ingested. WARNING: never mix bleach with ammonia it may cause fumes which can be DEADLY. Bleach can be absorbed into the skin and can take months to break down. Bleach is now being suspected in the causes of breast, ovarian, and testicular cancer - think about it - what do you wash your underclothes in??
BODY CARE PRODUCTS:
Shampoo, toothpaste, soap, hair spray, antiperspirants, fingernail polish, lotion, baby wipes, etc. contain an ingredient called Quaternium 15. This is one of over 30 trade names for FORMALDEHYDE ( this is what is put into dead bodies to slow down decomposing process)which is a highly suspected carcinogen. Formaldehyde can cause dizziness, ear infections, nausea, headaches, skin irritations, joint pain, mental confusion, disorientation, vomiting, sleep disturbances, phlebitis, fatigue, laryngitis.
CARPET AND UPHOLSTERY SHAMPOO:
Most formulas are designed to over power the stain itself, they accomplish the task but not without using highly toxic substances. Some include: Perchlorethylene: Known carcinogen damages liver, kidney and nervous system damage. Ammonium Hydroxide: Corrosive, extremely irritable to eyes, skin and respiratory passages.
Most products contain chlorine in a dry form that is highly concentrated. # 1 cause of child poisonings, according to poison control centers. You know those steamy fumes from the dishwasher - chlorine gas...
Most drain cleaners contain lye, hydrochloric acid or trichloroethane. Lye: Caustic, burns skin and eyes, if ingested will damage esophagus and stomach. Hydrochloric acid: Corrosive, eye and skin irritant, damages kidneys, liver and digestive tract. Trichloroethane: Eye and skin irritant, nervous system depressant; damages liver and kidneys.
Petroleum Distillates: Highly flammable, can cause skin and lung cancer. Phenol: (see Air fresheners, Phenol.) Nitrobenzene: Easily absorbed through the skin, extremely toxic.
MOLD AND MILDEW CLEANERS:
Chemicals contained are: Sodium hypochlorite: Corrosive, irritates or burns skin and eyes, causes fluid in the lungs which can lead to coma or death. Formaldehyde: Highly toxic, known carcinogen. Irritant to eyes, nose, throat, and skin. May cause nausea, headaches, nosebleeds, dizziness, memory loss and shortness of breath.
Sodium Hydroxide (Lye): Caustic, strong irritant, burns to both skin and eyes. Inhibits reflexes, will cause severe tissue damage if swallowed.
may contain: Triclosan: Absorption through the skin can be tied to liver damage. Also - news reports are now saying that antibacterial soaps can eliminate your body's ability to ward off harmful germs which will lead to "supergerms" that cannot be killed by antibacterial soaps. Are they doing more harm than good? That is the question now. Check your Bath & Body products and all antibacterial soaps for this ingredient.
LAUNDRY ROOM PRODUCTS:
Sodium or calcium hypocrite: Highly corrosive, irritates or burns skin, eyes or respiratory tract. Linear alkylate sulfonate: Absorbed through the skin. Known liver damaging agent. Sodium Tripolyphosphate: Irritates skin and mucous membranes, causes vomiting. Easily absorbed through the skin from clothes.
TOILET BOWL CLEANERS:
Hydrochloric acid: Highly corrosive, irritant to both skin and eyes. Damages kidneys and liver. Hypochlorite Bleach: Corrosive, irritates or burns eyes, skin and respiratory tract. May cause pulmonary edema, vomiting or coma if ingested. Contact with other chemicals may cause chlorine fumes which may be fatal.
OTHER NASTY THINGS THAT ARE AROUND YOUR HOME
Most pesticides have ingredients that affect the nervous system of insects. Imagine what these extremely poisonous chemicals do to your body or your baby's. Dimpylate: Better known as Diazinon, extremely toxic. Impairs the central nervous system. Chlorinate Hydrocarbons: Suspected carcinogen and mutantagen. Accumulates in food and in fatty tissue. Will attack the nervous system. Organophosphates: Toxic and poisonous. If you can smell it, your lungs are absorbing it.
Why put toxins on "man's (or woman's) best friend." Carbaryl: Very toxic, causes skin, respiratory and cardiovascular system damage. Chlordane: Accumulates in the food chain, may damage eyes, lungs, liver, kidney and skin. Dichlorophene: Skin irritation: May damage liver, kidney, spleen and central nervous system.
Especially vulnerable are children. Lindane: Inhalation, ingestion, or ABSORPTION through the SKIN causes vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions and circulatory collapse. May cause liver damage, stillbirths, birth defects and cancer.
Lice R Gone is a non-toxic alternative to pesticide based Head Lice Products
CAR WASH AND POLISH:
Petroleum Distillates: Associated with skin and lung cancer, irritant to skin, eyes, nose and lungs. Entry into the lungs may cause fatal pulmonary edema, most marked Danger, Harmful or Fatal.
TAR AND BUG REMOVER:
Contains XYLENE and PETROLEUM DISTILLATES. Manufacturers are not required by law to list all ingredients (harmful or not) on their labels if they are intended for household use. And don't forget about your favorite LYSOL product. It contains DIOXIN which is an ingredient used in Agent Orange during the Vietnam War. Agent Orange was a chemical used to spray in the jungles to strip foliage off the trees so our soldiers would be able to SEE the enemies they were looking for. This poison has afflicted so many soldiers from that war!
The question is - what will YOU use to clean your home and body ? Do you want your children to be absorbing these chemicals? They already are. Do you want to educate yourself on the dangers of household chemicals, cleaning products, and personal care products? Would you like to know what options are available?